What is a Homeowners Association?

Some residents think homeowners associations exist just to tell them what to do—or not do. Actually, the association is more like a housing management or service-delivery organization that provides three types of services to all residents---owners and renters alike

Community services - these can include publishing newsletters, orienting new owners, holding community-wide information meetings, and scheduling recreational and social functions.

Governance services - these can include ensuring that residents are complying with the association’s governing documents, that the association is adhering to local, state, and federal statutes , enforcing community rules and policies, administering design review policies, and recruiting new volunteer leaders.

Business services - these can include operating the common property efficiently, bidding maintenance work competitively, investing reserve funds wisely, developing long-range plans, and equitably and efficiently collecting assessments.

Providing these services requires good management (whether carried out by a professional manager or a self-managing board of home owners), strong planning and organization, and carefully monitoring the association’s affairs. It isn’t easy, but by fairly and effectively delivering these services, community associations protect and enhance the value of individual homes and lenders’ interests in those homes.

What are CC&Rs and Bylaws?

The Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CC&R's) are the governing document guidelines that are recorded by the County recorder's office. Failure to abide by the CC&R's may result in a fine to a homeowner by the Association.

The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices and terms of the Board of Directors, the voting rights of members, required meetings and notices, as well as other items that are necessary to run the Association.

What does FCCM do for an HOA community?

We report directly to the Board and all decisions are made by a majority vote of the Board.

We ensure the collection of assessments, provide financial statements and collection reports, violation inspections to keep the community in compliance, communications with homeowners/residents and the Board of Directors, maintain a database of all residents, handle what is needed to expedite the escrow process, attend board and special meetings, collect proposals from vendors/contractors for board review, prepare budgets for member distribution, ballot and annual meeting material preparation and execution among many other specific items.

How do I report a maintenance issue or complaint?

All complaints should be submitted in writing. You can email your complaint or notify us of a maintenance issue by emailing firstchoicecommunitymgmt@gmail.com. All mailed correspondence should be sent to First Choice Community Management at P.O. Box 300 Victorville, CA 92393.

How am I notified to pay my HOA assessments?

Each and every community’s billing cycle is different. Please reference your CC&R's for information specific to your community. Assessments may be due Quarterly (January, April, July and October), Annually (billed in January) or monthly. Each payment will be due on the first of the month and late fees may be assessed if paid after a specified day of the month. Please reference your community collection policy which details all late dates, late fees and collection procedures to be followed.

Please note that statements are sent as a courtesy by your Association and/or management company.


What happens if I don't pay my HOA assessments?

At close of escrow when you bought your home in your community, you promised to pay the assessments charged to you by accepting the deed to the property. For more information on this, please read your community’s CC&Rs. When homeowners don’t pay their assessments, the community suffers as it has less cash on hand to pay for community expenses. Each community has a different collection policy which specifically defines what happens when homeowners don’t pay their assessments. Contact FCCM for a copy of your association’s current collection policy for more information.

How do I contest a compliance notice, account statement or fine?

Please put your concerns in writing and email your dispute to firstchoicecommunitymgmt@gmail.com or send via regular mail. All mailed correspondence should be sent to First Choice Community Management at P.O. Box 300 Victorville, CA 92393. Your community manager will forward it to the Board of Directors and/or add it to the next agenda for a board response. You will receive a response following the next Board of Directors Meeting.

How do I request a hearing before the Board of Directors?

Place your request in writing and we will then submit your request to the Board and notify you of the date, time and place of your hearing.

How do I change my mailing address?

Your change of address must be requested in writing. You can either e-mail or send it via regular mail. All mailed correspondence should be sent to First Choice Community Management at P.O. Box 300 Victorville, CA 92393.

I want to make changes to the exterior of my home. Do I need permission and what's required?

Any exterior modifications or additions to your home or any structural changes must have prior written approval from your Architectural Review Committee unless it's a pre-approved item. For more information please reference your community CC&R's to review the architectural guidelines for your community. An Architectural or Home Improvement form is required to be filled out prior to the start of any exterior change or modification to the home.

Once submitted it can take up to 30 to 45 days upon receipt to expedite once received by the Board or committee. Please do not start any improvement to your home until written approval has been obtained by all applicable associations.

How do I obtain a key for entry to a gate or amenities?

Please contact FCCM to ensure the item is in stock. You will then be advised of the specific procedure for your community along with forms needed and fee if any.

How can I obtain a demand statement?

Please send your request in writing to firstchoicecommunitymgmt@gmail.com